THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, March 2, 2009

Violence in Juarez? I've hardly noticed

I live right next to the Mexican border and I am disappointed in myself because I have hardly noticed the violence that is going on right next door. Off and on for years I have heard about the bodies of dead women they have found in the deserts; but I never paid much attention to it. I have also heard snippets of the violence that is occurring right now involving the drug cartels. But for some reason it never registered with me how horrible things were and how as a human being and as someone who lives so close to these events, I should probably give a crap more than I should! I would probably have cared and known more about this situation if I paid any attention to my local news stations, but I really hate them and most of the time the issues they discuss I could care less about. I always focus on the national news CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and they hardly give any airtime to the issue. I have a friend who was so afraid that she refused to move back with her parents to Juarez and decided to stay with friends in the US. It must be bad when a 20+ college student who like me is greatly attached to their parents decides to no longer live with them. I can only imagine how fearful she is about what danger they are in. I've received little snippets about what is going on over there:
That the problems are also occurring in Chihuahua
Political leaders have been killed
The Mexican army is going to be deployed
The US army is going to be deployed
That the US has given a firm warning that if the violence spreads across the border they will take military action.
That vigilantes gave their political leaders a deadline to get the situation under control or else they will take matters into their own hands.
I definitely need to get more information about what is going on over there and I am ashamed of myself for having the mentality that if it doesn't affect me I don't care. This situation as well as the mass graves of Mexican women has provided another element to the illegal immigration debate for me. What exactly can Americans do about this situation? You hear about celebrities like George Clooney and Bono running around talking about Darfur and Aids in Africa and their goal is to essentially give airtime to the situation. Should the same thing be done for what is going on in Mexico? Should the American government even get involved or mind it's own business? Does the Mexican government and their citizens even trust that if the US gets involved that they will not do what they have done throughout history and never leave them alone, step all over the country just so the US can prosper? Should we just mind our own business and pray and let the Mexican government deal with their problems?
I definitely need and want more info on this situation. Can anyone say google.

0 comments: